- Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.
- All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
- The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.
- Anyone who tills the land will have plenty of bread, but one who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty.
Craving and Satisfaction
- The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
- The sluggard's craving will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work. All day long he craves for more, but the righteous give without sparing.